Children's therapy frequently asked questions

How long will my child wait for an appointment?

You will receive a telephone or face to face appointment within 18 weeks.

What do I do if I’m not happy with the service?

We always welcome your feedback and views which help us to maintain our high standards and improve our services.

You may be asked to fill out a feedback form at appointments (this is optional). We aim to provide a high quality service, putting you and your child at the heart of everything we do.

We hope you will be happy with the service you receive, however if you have any concerns your therapist will be happy to talk these through with you.

If you don’t feel comfortable discussing your concerns with your therapist, please contact us on 01522 309025.

Alternatively, you can contact the Trust's Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).

Will I have to pay for any treatment?

The assessments and treatments we provide are always free.

What do I do if I want to speak to my child's therapist?

Following your initial assessment, you will receive written feedback which will include the number to use to contact your child’s therapist. If you have misplaced the number, please call 01522 309025.

English is not my first language - how can I be supported?

If English is not your first language, we may be able to provide an interpreter to support you during appointments. Reports can also be provided in your own language if needed.

When will my child’s episode of care end?

We see children for time limited ‘episodes of care’ – we aim to help you and the people who work with your child to understand their difficulties and how to support them.

We may end an episode of care if:

  • your child’s skills are within the range expected for their age or their level of development
  • your child has met their current targets and everyone knows how to carry on the activities to help them. They do not need specialist support from our service at this time.
  • you fail to attend an appointment without letting us know.
  • you or those working with your child are unable to carry out the activities or programmes we have provided - therapy will not work without regular practice.

Your child can be re referred to us if they need more support in future.

Can my child be re-referred?

If your child has previously been known to us and you have further concerns, please contact us on 01522 309025.

A member of the admin team will take your details and you will be contacted by a member of the therapy staff to discuss your concerns.

Further advice may be given and another appointment arranged if required.

Does my child need a hearing test before attending a speech and language therapy appointment?

We do not recommend a hearing test unless you have specific concerns about your child’s hearing. If you are concerned about your child’s hearing, please discuss this with your GP.

Is there a waiting list for speech therapy?

If your child requires a block of speech therapy, your therapist will place them on a waiting list for this.

Therapy sessions will begin within two, four or six months depending on your child’s type of difficulty.

Sessions may be individual or in a small group. Your therapist will give advice, strategies and activities to work on with your child in the meantime.

What happens after a block of speech therapy?

Once your child has completed their therapy sessions, the therapy assistant will let you know when you can expect your child to receive a review appointment.

You will be given activities to do at home and at nursery or school in the meantime. This consolidation period is very important as it cements the skills they have learnt and helps them to keep making progress.

How do I obtain a specialist car seat for my child?

There is currently no health or social care funding for specialist car seats. The occupational therapist will be able to provide details of companies who supply specialist car seats. Parents/Carers can apply for assistance for funding through specialist charities; details can be provided by the occupational therapist. If a letter of support is needed, this will be provided for you.

My child has two occupational therapists. What is the difference between the Health (NHS) and the Social Services occupational therapist?

The occupational therapists from the NHS team sees children from 0-19 in their educational setting. Children under five will be seen for advice on home equipment needs as well. Social Services occupational therapists see children over five and undertake assessments in accessing the home environment.

How will we share information about your child?

We use a computer system called SystmOne which allows the sharing of full electronic records across different healthcare services. Your therapist will talk to you about sharing your child’s record and will gain your consent to share information with other healthcare professionals. You can change your sharing preferences at any time.

We will gain your consent regarding who we can send written information to. We usually send written reports to you, your child’s GP and their nursery or school setting. It may be relevant to share the report with others but we will always get your consent first.

Back to Children's Therapy Services Date last modified 21/07/2021