We provide specialist diabetes care to patients with complex and intermediate diabetic problems.
We offer health promotion, education and support to patients and their carers within a variety of community settings to promote self-management and reduce disease complications.
Elements of the Service
The promotion of healthy lifestyles through the referral to:
weight reduction courses
smoking cessation programmes
- treatment and care plans for individuals who have poorly controlled type 2 diabetes and in some cases type 1 diabetes
- education courses for individuals who are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes
- insulin, exenatide, liraglutide, bydureon and lixisenatide initiation with structured education programmes as appropriate
- access to specialist dietitians (experts in food and nutrition)
- access to podiatry services
- the provision of clinics by a community based GP with special interest in diabetes
- the service is also able to access support from other specialist services such as palliative care, wound care, respiratory and heart failure services
- teaching and support of healthcare professionals
Service operating times
The service is provided from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Referrals are accepted from GP practices, community nursing and allied healthcare professionals and hospital staff. Referral forms can be obtained from the appropriate office in your area and should be faxed back. Urgent referrals should be faxed, followed by a telephone call. Referral criteria applies.
Telephone: 0300 123 4868
Email: email@example.comBack to Specialist Services Date last modified 03/12/2018